The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2005
Yves Chauvin, Robert H. Grubbs, Richard R. Schrock
Telephone interview with Professor Robert H. Grubbs after the announcement of the 2005 Nobel Prize in Chemistry, October 5, 2005. Interviewer is Joanna Rose, science writer.
- Hello. Dr Grubbs?
- This is Joanna Rose from Nobelprize.org ...
- Okay ...
- ... the official site of the Nobel Foundation.
- I wanted just to record some questions and answers from you, about the Prize.
- Congratulations to the Prize.
- Thank you.
- How did you receive this message?
- I was ... at home, recovering from a lecture tour in New Zealand and at home I have ... They put us up in Christchurch; I'm in Christchurch as an Erskine Fellow, giving a lecture course. And I'm just sitting in my home; it's now 11.30 at night, so I ... the end of a long day.
- When did you get the message?
- Just a few minutes ago, a short time ago.
- Did you expect it in any way?
- No. You know, it's one of the things no one ever expects to happen, not usually. But you never expect it.
- It never occurred to you that you could be a Nobel Prize-winner?
- No. You know, that's not one of the things that I'd even ...
- Do you think it will change your future research, or ...?
- I hope not, of course. It's still too early, but I don't think so. I've been enjoying doing what I'm doing for a very long time, so I see no reason to change.
- Do you think that this means some new responsibilities, becoming a Nobel Prize-winner?
- It probably does. But I haven't thought about those yet. I guess so. It's so soon and ... I'm sure that will happen over the next little while.
- I see. Do you have any idea what you will do with the Prize money?
- No, I haven't thought about that. I'm sure we'll find some interesting things to do.
- Are you going to celebrate the Prize now?
- Well, as I say, I'm pretty exhausted and so I will probably have a few drinks and try to get some sleep tonight.
- Thank you very much for being with us tonight.
- Okay. Thanks.
MLA style: "Robert H. Grubbs - Interview". Nobelprize.org. 20 May 2013 http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2005/grubbs-telephone.html