The Nobel Palace
Plans for a Nobel Building have been discussed since the Nobel Foundation was founded in 1901. The aim was not only to honor the donor Alfred Nobel but also to find a dignified setting for the Prize Award Ceremony as well as an office for the Nobel Foundation. The first Prize Award ceremonies were held at The Academy of Music (old) in central Stockholm. The board of the Nobel Foundation decided, however, to have a building of its own. In 1907 the Nobel Foundation acquired 3000 square meters of land in the northern part of Djurgården at what is today the Nobel Park. Plans were made for a building which would house a main hall seating 2000 as well as office premises. Ferdinand Boberg, a well-known Swedish architect, was asked to make a proposal. His final draft design for the building was ready in 1911 and resulted in sketches for an impressive but highly original building which at the same time included features inspired by an Islamic mosque, an Italian Frascati villa, an Indian pagoda and an American skyscraper. This caused an intense debate which lasted for several years. With the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 the project was suspended. In 1917 the architect Ivar Tengbom had been asked to make plans for a Concert Hall and a new City Hall was to be built under the guidance of another Swedish architect, Ragnar Östberg.
By the time the plans for a Nobel Museum again were considered there was no demand for a great ceremonial hall and the Foundation decided to postpone the project. To solve the problem of administrative offices, the Nobel Foundation in 1919 bought a building in central Stockholm, Sturegatan 14, where its office is still located.
Copyright © The Nobel Foundation 1998
MLA style: "The Nobel Foundation - Nobel Building". Nobelprize.org. 26 May 2013 http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_organizations/nobelfoundation/history/boberg/index.html